Friday, February 11, 2011

Stuffed Mushrooms

This recipe comes from my dear sweet Aunt Justine. She is one of the most amazing woman I have ever met! I think I get a lot of my craftiness and cooking skills from her. Sometimes I think I should have been her child, but I suppose my mom makes me much more well rounded ;)

My husband has been in love with her stuffed mushrooms for some time now and I have never gotten the recipe from her... until now!

We were getting ready for Super Bowl and all he could talk about were her mushrooms. So I made the call. They are surprisingly easy. And like most recipes that come from her there are few exact measurements and quite a bit of 'eye balling'.

If you want more specifics let me know and I will make them again with accurate measurements.

Here we go...

-Mushrooms - I got mine at Costco. If you get the smaller package from a grocery store you will have extra filling
-1 block cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese - I used fresh and quite a bit of it. She uses the stuff that comes in a container and said about 1/3 of a medium size container.
-Sausage - The kind you get in the meat section. New York Style, Hot. (I didn't take a picture of the package, so if you aren't sure what to get let me know and I will get a picture in the store)
- Garlic - A few cloves. I used 4-5

Brown sausage in a pan.



Wash and de-stem the mushrooms. I didn't scoop out anymore of the mushroom than what came out with the stem. You can if you want, but according to Aunt Justine once they are cooked you can't really tell a difference.




Chop stems and garlic.



Once sausage is about half way done add garlic and chopped stems. Make sure sausage bits are pretty small especially if you have smaller mushrooms.



Mix room temp cream cheese and Parmesan.  


Add sausage mixture to cream cheese mixture. The warm sausage helps the cream cheese melt into a yummy mix of goodness! Spoon mixture into mushrooms.


Top with more Parmesan cheese. I like fresh parm so I used quite a bit in my recipe. You can use as much or as little as you like. The cheese on top helps give it a little bit of crispiness. 


Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or golden brown.

 
Remove from pan and plate. 



Now enjoy! These are very easy to make and reheat very well! They do have a little bit of spice from the sausage, but I think that is part of what makes them so good.

According to Steve they are little bits of heaven.

Let me know if you make them and how they turn out, or if you have any questions about the recipe.
Posted by Picasa


4 comments:

Maureen said...

OMGoodness, those look SO good...definitely a must make!

Renee' said...

OMGoodness Jenny......they were absolutely amazing!! Thnak Goodnes Merlena and I had to share one. YUMMY!

randi said...

gosh, i want one of these right now! they sound so good. thanks for the recipe!

Natalia Lynn said...

Oh my gosh, I cannot wait to try these!! They sound so delicious!! It is making me hungry :)